Subscribe to free Email Newsletter  
 
 
   

Speculation mounts on Thorpe quit

(AFP)
Updated: 2006-11-21 08:41

SYDNEY - Speculation mounted that Australian Olympic swimming star Ian Thorpe could announce his retirement from a record-breaking competitive career.


Speculation mounted that Australian Olympic swimming star Ian Thorpe, pictured March 2006, could announce his retirement from a record-breaking competitive career. [AFP\File]

Thorpe was due to address a news conference at midday local time (0100 GMT), where he was expected to at least declare that he would miss next year's world championships, the last major international meet before the 2008 Beijing games.

Australian head coach Alan Thompson said he believed Thorpe would not swim at the world championships in Melbourne, but hoped that would not signal the end of his career.

"He would not call a press conference if he was going to swim," he said.

Australian swimming team captain Grant Hackett said it wouldn't be impossible for Thorpe to mount a comeback for the Beijing Olympics.

"I don't think it's impossible, but the longer you leave it, the harder it becomes," he said.

Health concerns have restricted the 24-year-old world and Olympic champion's training ahead of the Australian world championship trials on December 3-10.

If Thorpe misses the trials he will be ineligible to swim at the world championships next March , which would impact on his chances of representing Australia at a third Olympics in Beijing.

The swimming superstar has not competed at a major international meet since the 2004 Athens Olympics, some 27 months ago.

"Ian has had a long road back from illness and he has been diligently applying himself, at least in my experience in the US, to get himself ready to swim at the worlds," coaching consultant Milt Nelms told reporters Sunday.

"It has been tougher than we thought and we're going to get together and make a decision within the next 48 hours."

Thorpe's bid to come back following a year out of competition last year has been ravaged by illness and injury.

He was ruled out of the Melbourne Commonwealth Games last March because of glandular fever and he has struggled to shake off the energy-sapping illness.



Your comments: All the comments
Comment here(Only English)    Your Name:
Top Sports News  
Today's Top News  
Most Commented/Read Stories in 48 Hours
   
Copyright 1995-2007. All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form.
Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
Registration Number: 20100000002731