About Datong

Huayan Temple

By Zhou Yuanyuan

update: 2013-10-23

Huayan Temple


This temple takes its name from the Avatamsaka Sutra, which is Huayanjing in Chinese. It was separated into an upper and a lower temple in the mid-Ming Dynasty (1368—1644), then rejoined in 1963. The upper part is beautifully decorated and the lower is in an antique style. The tower has an underground place for worship that contains one thousand Buddha. The underground part covering 500 square meters and is decorated with 100 tons of copper.

Address: Daxi Street,Datong,Shanxi province

Best time to visit: April – October

Hours: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm

Tickets: 80 yuan

Transportation: You can get there on the No.4 bus

Tips: There are also scenic spots nearby, such as Nine-dragon Wall, Drum Tower and Shanhua temple



Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next

| About China Daily | Advertise on Site | Contact Us | Job Offer |

Copyright 1995 - 2010 . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.