Subscribe to free Email Newsletter  
 
 
   

Beckham's wife arrives in Los Angeles

(AP)
Updated: 2007-01-14 09:29

LOS ANGELES - The latest wave of the British invasion is under way. Victoria Beckham, the former pop star princess and soccer great David Beckham's wife, arrived Saturday in Los Angeles, two days after her husband agreed to play for the Los Angeles Galaxy in Major Soccer League.

Victoria Beckham landed at Los Angeles International Airport aboard a British Airways flight from London shortly after 3 p.m.

Paparazzi pushed and shoved around her and security guards as she raced through the international terminal to a black sport utility vehicle. Wearing a gray cap, white blouse, black slacks and sunglasses, she did not answer questions from the media.

She was trailed by soccer intrigue from Spain, where the coach of her husband's team said David Beckham will no longer play with Real Madrid, just practice. The development came as news to the star midfielder, according to one of his representatives.

Formerly known as Posh Spice of the Spice Girls, the 32-year-old singer was headed to California to look at homes and schools for their children, said one of David Beckham's spokesmen, who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to publicly discuss details of the trip before Victoria's arrival in the United States.

The spokesman said Victoria planned to visit Los Angeles for some time and will be there for a number of days. He declined to discuss in which neighborhoods Victoria was house hunting.

The Galaxy and Beckham agreed earlier this week to a five-year deal believed to be worth about $10 million a year. He is expected to join the team in August.

In Madrid, Real coach Fabio Capello said at a news conference Saturday that Beckham won't play again for the European power.

"He will practice, but he is not going to play," Capello said Saturday at a news conference.

Beckham's contract with Real Madrid expires in June. The 31-year-old player would "continue to give his full commitment and professionalism to the club," Beckham spokesman Simon Oliveira said.

"David is surprised at the quotes from Fabio Capello, as nobody from the club has informed him of their intentions," Oliveira added. "As far as David is aware, he has a contract for the remainder of the season and he remains dedicated to the club and its supporters."

Beckham, who joined Madrid from Manchester United in 2003, has said he plans to leave Real Madrid after his contract expires June 30 and to join the Galaxy in August.

The Galaxy did not immediately respond to phone messages Saturday in Los Angeles.



Your comments: All the comments
Comment here(Only English)    Your Name:
Top Entertaiment News  
Today's Top News  
Most Commented/Read Stories in 48 Hours
   
Copyright 1995-2007. All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form.
Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
Registration Number: 20100000002731