Latest News

Donations pouring in to Yushu

(China Daily)
Updated: 2010-04-16 07:47
Large Medium Small

BEIJING - As rescuers are making all-out efforts to search for survivors and save the injured, domestic enterprises, non-governmental organizations and the public are donating money and relief supplies to quake-hit Yushu.

Donations pouring in to Yushu

Children from Mianzhu city of Sichuan province, which was hit hard by a devastating quake in 2008, put money into a donation box during a campaign to raise relief funds and materials for Yushu county on Thursday. [China Daily] 

Chen Guangbiao, chairman of Jiangsu Huangpu Recycle Resources Use Company, together with bosses of two other Chinese companies, donated more than 30 million yuan ($4.4 million) worth of relief supplies including 21 bulldozers and excavators, 50 generators, 3,000 tents and 500 tons of mineral water, through the China Charity Federation (CCF), a news release to China Daily said.

Special coverage:
Donations pouring in to Yushu Qinghai Earthquake
Related readings:
Donations pouring in to Yushu 
Aftershocks may hit Northwest after Yushu earthquake
Donations pouring in to Yushu First devastating images from earthquake
Donations pouring in to Yushu At least 56 students die in Qinghai earthquake
Donations pouring in to Yushu 100,000 people need tents in quake-hit Yushu
Donations pouring in to Yushu More than 1,000 saved in quake zone
Chen also helped in the aftermath of the Wenchuan earthquake on May 12, 2008. Chen and his rescue team of 120 drivers and 60 heavy duty vehicles, including bulldozers, excavators and hoisters, were the first non-governmental rescue force to arrive at the Wenchuan quake-hit zone.

Chen flew to the quake-stricken area on Wednesday night. On the plane, Chen announced his donation of 40,000 yuan in cash and called on other people on board to make a contribution. Passengers and the crew donated 56,400 yuan and 1,000 Japanese yen.

The money will be sent to the quake-hit area for relief use by Chen, according to a reporter with Wuhan Evening News, who was on the plane.

A medical manufacturer in Weihai, Shandong province, donated 300,000 yuan worth of medical devices, and a cloth manufacturer in Beijing donated 10,000 jackets and trousers, the release said.

After the earthquake, the Red Cross Society of China (RCSC) immediately launched a second level of emergency response and then raised the level on Wednesday afternoon. It dispatched 1 million yuan worth of tents, blankets, clothes and food. Those materials were expected to arrive in the quake area on Thursday night, according to a report on the RCSC website.

Meanwhile, the RCSC has deployed a rescue team of 52 members from the Beijing 999 Emergency Rescue Center and Beijing Red Cross to the affected area. The team is expected to reach Yushu on Friday.

The headquarters of the RCSC also called on the 32 provincial-level Red Cross branches in China to help the disaster-hit area.

Xia Hongyan, head of the publicity department of the RCSC, said that they have received many calls from the public, expressing their willingness to donate.

Asked how much money had been raised as of Thursday, an official with the finance sector of the RCSC said the figure is not yet available and they would check with the bank on Friday. But the official said RCSC would deliver the money and relief supplies to the quake-hit area as soon as they receive them. Three volunteers with Gesanghua, a civil society that has been helping poor students in Qinghai for years, set off from the provincial capital of Xining and arrived in Yushu on Wednesday night.

Shang Dao, one of the volunteers, who would only give her online name, said food and experienced medical staff are urgently needed, according to a report on Qilu Net.

The area will not be helped by scores of people arriving to help, she said.

"Rather, more important and practical work should be done by volunteers to help raise more money and relief materials for the quake-stricken region," the volunteer suggested.

China Daily